The following 25 questions are based on the Week Three readings. You may use your textbooks to complete this open-book test.
True or False
Determine whether each statement is true or false and write your answer in the “True of False” column
- All cultures share a common need to solve similar human problems.
- American psychologists tend to treat their research as being universally applicable.
- Horizontal relationships, such as relationships with coworkers and peers, are more important in individualistic cultures than collectivist cultures.
- Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders are included in the Asian American ethnic group.
- The largest minority group in the United States is currently African Americans.
- To experience stereotype threat, one needs to accept that the stereotype about oneself is true.
- White Europeans represent the majority of the U.S. population.
Fill in the Blank
The number of words you must include in the “Answer” column is indicated by the number of blank lines in the “Statement” column. Write your answers in the “Answer” column.
- ___________ threat occurs when negative stereotypes about one’s group are used to interpret one’s behavior.
- According to the American Psychological Association, all individuals are ___________ beings
- In the year ________, psychology professionals first paid attention to the culture within the psychology profession.
- By 1800, _________ could vote and hold office everywhere in the United States except Maryland and New Hampshire.
- Cross-cultural psychologists test theories with the notion that culture was ____________ of the individual and separate from psychological activities and principles.
- Culture evolved because it contributed to human ________ and reproduction.
- Definitions and conceptualizations of culture in current psychology come primarily from the field of __________ anthropology.
- __________defines diversity in terms of shared national origin and current allegiance, therefore “ethnicity” is a more useful and definable concept.
- Genetic research has suggested that biological differences among races are largely ___________.
- Interracial marriage was illegal in some parts of the United States until the year ___________.
- Members of ethnic groups learn about themselves from others within the same group, and from the way they are treated by __________.
- An individual’s ____________ identity includes his or her age, sexual orientation, physical disability, socioeconomic status, race and ethnicity, workplace role and position, religious and spiritual orientation, and work and family concerns.
- Ray (2010) stated that ________ ________ shapes “who we are in spite of ourselves, effortlessly, and inexorably as we … internalize our community’s habits of thought, values, and forms of behavior” (p. 15).
- The _________ approach to cultural research is most akin to indigenous psychology.
- The _________ approach to cultural research is most akin to cross-cultural psychology.
- The main factor in making decisions about racial categories is _________.
- Contemporary approaches to culture emphasize the active role of individuals as _________ and _________ as they interact with others and with their environment.
- Turtle Island is another name for _________ ________.