In a 3–5 page paper, research your local office of emergency management and/or Emergency Operations Center (most counties, municipalities, and universities have these departments). Interview someone from one of these agencies (via phone, in-person, or via email) and discuss the following:
- For what specific threats (man-made or natural) has their agency prepared? (There will likely be different focuses in different areas of the country.)
- How have they partnered with other local government agencies (i.e., law enforcement, EMS, school district, etc.)?
- How have they partnered with private organizations within their community?
- To what extent do they partner with federal agencies such as the Department of Homeland Security?
- How do they engage their community in preparing for and preventing natural and/or man-made disasters?