Assignment 1:—Structural Configurations for Organizations
Henry Mintzberg (1980) introduced a new way to explain structural configurations by “clustering various functions into groupings and showing their relative size and clout in response to different missions and external challenges” (Bolman & Deal, 2009, p. 78). Other authors offer different ways of looking at this topic.
Using the University online library resources, locate a minimum of four different scholarly sources that offer different approaches on structural configurations for organizations.
Complete the following:
- Pick two extra approaches, one of those being Sally Helgesen’s (1995) “The Web of Inclusion.”
- From the manager’s standpoint, examine the different approaches and provide the pros and cons of each one of them when compared to Mintzberg’s proposal.
Write your initial response in a minimum of 400 words. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
By Thursday, January 9, 2014, post your responses to the appropriate Discussion Area.
Bolman, L., & Deal, T. (2009). Reframing organizations: Artistry, choice, and leadership(4th ed.). Jossey-Bass.
Helgesen, S. (1995). The Web of Inclusion: A New Architecture for Building Great Organizations. New York: Currency/Doubleday.
Mintzberg, H. (1980). Structure in 5’s: A synthesis of the research on organization design.Management Science, 26(3), 322–341.
Assignment 2: Home Depot Analysis
For this assignment, you will review an article describing a situation in which a business leader used a management approach that proved to be unsuccessful. You will write an analysis that covers the requirements listed in the directions below.
Review the following:
- Charan, R. (2006). Home Depot’s blueprint for culture change. Harvard Business Review, 84(4), 60–70.
Using the University online library resources, locate at least 2 different scholarly sources on the topic.
Write a paper that covers the following:
- Explain what led to an unsuccessful outcome at Home Depot.
- Analyze the Home Depot scenario utilizing the four-frame model (i.e., Structure, HR, Political, and Symbolic).
- Explain which frames were more useful in your analysis and justify your reasoning.
- Explain an experience you have faced in your own career that is similar to the situation presented in this case. Analyze the approach taken and assess its success.
Write a 2–3-page paper in Word format. Utilize at least two scholarly sources in support. Your paper should be written in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrate ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and display accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
By Sunday, January 12, 2014, deliver your assignment to the M2: Assignment 2 Dropbox.